In honor of Smithfield’s Helping Hungry Homes 300th milestone donation, the company has announced it will donate nearly one million servings of protein to eight food banks across the country throughout the remainder of 2016.
Between now and the end of the year, Smithfield will travel from coast-to-coast to food banks in Florence, S.C., Charleston, S.C., Sacramento, Calif., Hampton, Va., Virginia Beach, Va., Bentonville, Ark., Baltimore, Md. and Tampa, Fla. Smithfield will continue its long history of partnering with local retailers with a history of philanthropy to make these donations and raise awareness of hunger in these areas.
This sizable donation of nearly one million servings of protein from Smithfield will benefit thousands of families during the holiday season – a time in which many don’t know from where their next meal will come. Furthermore, some of these donations will support victims of the recent hurricane that affected the East Coast.
Helping Hungry Homes, now in its eighth year, is Smithfield’s nationwide hunger initiative to help Americans become more food secure. Highlights of the program include:
• Since 2008, the Helping Hungry Homes tour has visited more than 100 cities
• To-date, the program has provided more than 43 million servings of protein (4 ounces per serving) to food banks across America
• In 2016 alone, Smithfield will make more than 40 large-scale protein donations to food banks across the United States totaling more than six million servings
• Smithfield’s Helping Hungry Homes initiative is made possible in large part thanks to the dedicated truck drivers and volunteers who are making a positive impact on food insecurity throughout the nation
• This past year, Smithfield partnered with national and local celebrities to raise awareness of hunger in the United States, including celebrity chef Ingrid Hoffmann; current and former football stars Melvin Ingram, Casey Hayward, Cecil Shorts III, Kyle Rudolph, Mark Schlereth, and Reggie Wayne; and racing legend Richard Petty and No. 43 driver Aric Almirola
Hunter PR for Smithfield
T: (212) 679-6600